We have taken a classic Comfort Food recipe and made it a quick meal using our pressure cooker. Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings is an easy recipe that is on the table in no time. Perfect as a family dinner any night of the week!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
We love homemade chicken and dumplings! Tender chicken, homemade dumplings and tons of veggies in a rich broth! Yum!
EASY – Making Chicken and Dumplings in an Instant Pot is SO easy. There are really just a couple of steps and it is all super straight forward. And this whole meal is prepared in one pot. So cleanup is super quick and easy as well!
DELICIOUS – We love making recipes in a pressure cooker because it seals all those flavors and aromas during the cooking process. Seriously, you’ve gotta taste it to believe it!
QUICK – My favorite part of owning an electric pressure cooker is how it can help me get a classic comfort food recipe on the table in half the time. This Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings would normally take much longer, but with a little help from the store and with my pressure cooker, this recipe is perfect for those busy weekday nights when you need a quick and easy recipe to get on the table.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
If you are new to the Instant Pot life be sure to check out our Guide to Pressure Cooking to learn everything you need to know about your electric pressure cooker. For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Ingredients
- OLIVE OIL – We like to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil in our Instant Pot Recipes. It has a high smoke point and works great with just about any ingredients.
- CHICKEN BREAST – One pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts. We diced ours into cubes. But you can leave it in larger pieces and shred it after cooking, then return it to the recipe. You can also substitute for Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs if you’d like.
- GARLIC – Minced. To be sauteed with the chicken and oil. Your kitchen will smell great.
- CHICKEN BROTH – We like to use broth for our Instant Pot recipes to give our dishes even more flavor. You can substitute Vegetable broth if you want/need to.
- VEGETABLES – We used a combination of carrots, celery and onions.
- SEASONINGS – Oregano, thyme, basil, salt and black pepper.
Can You Use Frozen Vegetables?
Yes! This is a great recipe to use up some of the vegetables you already have in the freezer. I sometimes will add a cup of frozen peas to the pot before turning it on, but this time I didn’t have any in the freezer. Feel free to make this recipe your own.
Storage and Freezing
You can store leftovers in an Airtight Container in your refrigerator. It should stay good for up to 4 days. But, honestly, it will never be as delicious as it was when first made. And the dumplings soak up the broth around them, they will start to get more soggy.
I would not freeze this recipe.
Can You Make Your Own Dumplings?
Yes, if you’ve got your own dumpling recipe that you’d like to transform into an Instant Pot Recipe, then you can do everything the same. Just substitute the refrigerated biscuits for your recipe. Also, you can make dumplings pretty easily using Bisquick Baking Mix. Check out this recipe for more on that!
Notes, Variations and FAQs
- DEGLAZE POT – Once you add your Chicken Broth, use a wooden spoon to scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot from when you sauteed the chicken. This adds even more flavor and can help you avoid getting a burn notice.
- HOW TO CHICKEN UP CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS – If your end result is a little too runny for you, you can easily thicken it up after cooking by adding a cornstarch slurry. You can make a slurry by combining 2 parts cornstarch and one part water.
- GARNISH – For some extra flavor and color, garnish with parsley or green onions.
LOOKING FOR MORE INSTANT POT FAMILY DINNERS? CHECK OUT:
- INSTANT POT MISSISSIPPI POT ROAST
- INSTANT POT CRACK CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP!
- INSTANT POT VEGETABLE SOUP
- INSTANT POT CASHEW CHICKEN
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND RICE
Instant Pot Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube 7.5 oz, tube biscuits (10 biscuits)
- Cut biscuits into quarters and set aside.
- Add oil, chicken, onion and garlic to the Instant Pot and saute on saute mode, cooking chicken until browned.
- Add broth, carrots, celery, and spices and mix well. Add biscuits to the pot and carefully push down into liquid.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal shut. Make sure the nozzle is in the seal position. Close the pressure release valve. Set the Instant Pot to manual, high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, carefully quick release the pressure and open the pot. Stir and enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.