What is Mississippi Chicken?
What you need to make Mississippi Chicken
- boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Dry ranch dressing seasoning packet
- AuJus Dry seasoning packet* (optional, I didn’t use it in my recipe below because I didn’t have any but a lot of people include it and it is in the traditional recipe)
- Hamburger buns
- Slices of provolone cheese
- Pressure Cooker – I love my Instant Pot
Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken is an easy recipe that produces moist, fall apart tender chicken with a bit of a kick! Keto friendly, this is a flavorful chicken recipe made with pepperoncini peppers, ranch seasoning, butter and chicken and can be made into some amazing, delicious sandwiches!
- 2 pounds boneless/skinless chicken breasts about 2-3 breasts
- 1 8 oz jar pepperoncini peppers
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package dry ranch dressing seasoning packet
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices provolone cheese
Place chicken breasts into your pressure cooker pot. Drain pepper juice from your jar of peppers into a measuring cup. If the juice doesn't equal 1 cup of juice, add water to make one cup. Pour over chicken. Add peppers to your pot and sprinkle ranch dressing on top. Place cubes of butter over chicken in the pot.
Place the lid onto the Instant Pot and seal shut. Make sure the pressure release valve is set to sealing. Set your pressure cooker to manual, high pressure for 30 minutes.
When the cooking cycle is complete, carefully quick release the pressure. Carefully open the lid and let the chicken stand for about 5 minutes until it can be shredded. Using two forks, or a hand held beater, shred the chicken. Mix chicken back in with the peppers and juices.
Use tongs to place chicken onto a bun and top with cheese. Serve immediately.
*Cooking time does not include the time it takes for the pressure cooker to come to pressure.
A AuJus Dry seasoning packet can also be added. (I didn't use it in my recipe because I didn't have any but a lot of people include it and it is in the traditional recipe)