Why You’ll Love This Recipe
HEALTHY – Full of flavor, this is a healthy side dish that you won’t feel guilty about. Cabbage is packed with nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. We all like to focus on eating our vegetables. This is a great way to make sure are achieving a balanced diet.
QUICK AND EASY – Cooking Cabbage in a pressure cooker is just so darned easy! With just a few short steps to prepare your cabbage, it only needs 3 minutes to cook in your Instant Pot. And cleaning up is a cinch, with everything being cooked in one pot!
Instant Pot Cabbage Recipe
For step-by-step instructions, check out the recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- CABBAGE – Look for healthy, green cabbage without any blemishes. Make sure you prepare your cabbage before you cook it. You can always do this beforehand and put it in a ziplock baggie until you are ready to cook it.
- WATER -All Instant Pot Recipes need water to pressure cook. You can certainly substitute vegetable broth or chicken broth for the water if you’d like. Obviously, using chicken broth would not work for vegetarians.
- SALT AND PEPPER – Salt and black pepper to taste.
- BUTTER (OPTIONAL) – Most recipes DO call for butter and, obviously butter makes this dish so delicious. But, if you are really trying to be healthy, you can omit it.
How To Prepare Cabbage For The Instant Pot
Cut your cabbage into “V” shaped wedges, about 2 inches in width at the widest part. You can then cut out some of the tougher stems (core). Your cabbage may fall apart, but that is ok. Rinse the cabbage with cold water. Again, you can do this as soon as you get it home from the store and keep it in Ziplock baggies, so you can just dump it in the pressure cooker when you need it!
What To Serve With Instant Pot Cabbage
This recipe works GREAT with traditional Irish Food and especially perfect at as St. Patrick’s Day recipe! Make it along with Instant Pot Corned Beef and Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
But you could also serve it with some Meatloaf or Pork Chops.
You can keep leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave.
I would not freeze leftover cabbage. It will got soggy when you thaw it out.
Instant Pot Cabbage
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- Place 1 cup water into the instant pot and place the trivet onto the bottom of the pot. You could also use a pressure cooker steamer basket.
- Cut the stem off of the cabbage and discard. Remove any loose leaves from the outside of the cabbage and discard. Using a large knife, cut the cabbage into quarters. Place on top of the trivet in your Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and seal shut. Close the pressure release valve and set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, quick release pressure and open the pot. Carefully remove cabbage.
- Serve with butter and salt, or cut into smaller pieces before serving with salt, pepper and butter.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
A tbsp of hot sauce to the water is incredible
I love this idea, thank you for sharing!
Your instructions say cook 3 minutes but at the beginning of the recipe it says cooking time 13 minutes. Which is it?
You set your pressure cooker to 3 minutes. The cooking time includes the time it takes for the pressure cooker to come to pressure.
3 minutes didn’t cook my cabbage… tried 2 more minutes and still didn’t cook it all the way through..