This Instant Pot Potato Salad Recipe is SO quick and easy! Potatoes are perfectly cooked in your Pressure Cooker and combined with Mayo, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese, Bacon and other Spices! Yum!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- EASY – We know it’s tempting to by that premade stuff in a container at the store. But once you try making this homemade potato salad in a pressure cooker, you’ll realize how simple and easy it is! It takes just a TOTAL of 15 minutes, from start to finish to assemble this recipe. Please note, it does need to chill in your fridge for a couple hours.
- ADJUSTABLE – When you make your own Potato Salad, you can adjust just how much of each ingredient you want in there. And we have some guidance and suggestions below to help you out!
- DELICIOUS – Fresh, flavorful and delicious! With tender potatoes, creamy mayo, cheese and crunchy bacon. With all these textures and flavors, it’s like a symphony for your tastebuds!
Instant Pot Potato Salad
What ingredients will you need? Pretty simple stuff that you probably already have in your pantry. For full, step-by-step instructions, check out the recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
Instant Pot Potato Salad Ingredients
- RED POTATOES – Cut into bite sized pieces. For more on the best potatoes to use for potato salad, read below.
- WATER – All pressure cookers need moisture to create the pressure and the steam!
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER – To taste.
- SEASONING SALT – We LOVE seasoning salt in just about everything!
- MAYONNAISE – If you want to cut a little calories, you can use low-fat mayonnaise.
- SOUR CREAM – Again, substitute for low fat Sour Cream if needed.
- SHREDDED CHEESE – We used Cheddar Cheese. But you could use any cheese that sounds good to you.
- BACON – Cook bacon in your preferred method. We suggest that you get it as crispy as possible so that you can chop it into tiny bits.
- GREEN ONION – As a garnish if desired.
What Is The Best Potato To Use For Potato Salad
I’ve seen some recipes using Russet Potatoes for Potato Salad. But, honestly, I’d stay away from those as they are pretty starchy and may fall apart when cooking in a pressure cooker. We like to use Red Potatoes.
Do you need to peel your potatoes when making potato salad? That is completely up to you. We didn’t peel ours for this recipe. It’s certainly a taste and aesthetic thing.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
Store in an air tight container and keep in your fridge. Your potato salad should stay good for up to 4-5 days. Never store at room temperature. Can you freeze potato salad? Well, yes, you can freeze it, but thawing it can be tricky. NEVER thaw it at room temperature or microwave it. Always thaw it in your refrigerator. Some of your ingredients may separate during the thawing process. You can stir the potato salad to try to remedy this. But, in general, I’d advise against freezing this recipe.
Notes, Tips and Variations:
- EGGS?- We didn’t put egg in this recipe, but cooking a Potato Salad with Egg in an Instant Pot is super easy. Simply put a couple large eggs in with your Potatoes. They will both cook together all in one pot! You’ll want to put them in an ice bath after cooking and get them fully cooled before incorporating them into your recipe. I’d remove the egg yolk and mix it in with your wet ingredients. Then dice up the egg whites and mix them in afterwards with the bacon! Put a couple eggs in if you want so you’ll have some extra hard boiled eggs for a snack if you need it later!
- SETTING TIME – The longer you can let these ingredients set together in your fridge, the better. Plan accordingly. You will want AT LEAST 3-4 hours.
- KEEP IT COOL – A neat trick is to put a large bowl of fresh ice under the serving dish when you serve this Instant Pot Potato Salad. This will help keep the dish cool and fresh during your function.
- ADDITIONS – Some people like to add a bit of mustard to their potato salad. You can also add some chopped celery for extra crunch.
What To Serve With Your Instant Pot Potato Salad
I’ve got some great recipes if you are looking for something yummy to use as a side dish:
LOOKING FOR MORE INSTANT POT SIDE DISHES? CHECK OUT OUR:
- INSTANT POT BAKED BEANS
- INSTANT POT APPLESAUCE
- INSTANT POT BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- INSTANT POT MAC AND CHEESE
Instant Pot Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 pounds red potatoes cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- Green onion for garnish
- Place the chopped potatoes in the steam basket for the Instant Pot.
- Add water to the bowl of the pot and place the steam basket inside. Place the lid on the pot and seal the pressure release valve. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. When the cook time is up, do a quick release and remove the lid.
- Carefully take the steam basket out of the pot and allow the potatoes to cool to room temperature. Place the basket in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process, if desired.
- When the potatoes have cooled, season with salt, pepper, and seasoning salt. Stir to coat.
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and bacon. Stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill at least four hours. Garnish with chopped green onion before serving.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.