This Instant Pot Fajitas Recipe makes the ultimate easy Tex Mex family meal! All made in one pot in your pressure cooker, it will be ready in just a couple minutes! Tender shredded chicken, fresh onions and bell peppers and our special homemade Fajita seasoning.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- EASY – A one pot meal prep, and both cooking this recipe and cleaning up is so easy! Great for a busy weeknight!
- CINCO DE MAYO – Looking for a fun recipe to celebrate Cinco De Mayo? This is perfect!
- VERSATILE – We love our recipe as written, but this recipe is great to add or subtract ingredients according to your tastes or diets! See below for some ideas.
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Fajitas has always been one of my favorite recipes. I love getting them at a restaurant on that sizzling skillet! So hot and so fresh! And then I can make my own! Yum! Well, now you can recreate that experience at home with these Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas.
I love making this in my Instant Pot because it is so darned easy! Just dump all of the ingredient in, secure the lid and press a couple of buttons. And these Fajitas will come out perfectly cooked and ready to dress up with your favorite Mexican toppings.
It’s a great idea for Cinco De Mayo parties, a fun weeknight dinner or a make-ahead lunch to divy up for the office during the rest of the week. And, if you want to skip the tortillas, it is Gluten Free!
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Ingredients
So, what will you need for this recipe? It’s pretty easy, check out the ingredients below. For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- CHICKEN BREASTS – Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. We recommend slicing them pretty thin to make sure the cook through while pressure cooking.
- WATER – All Instant Pots need liquids to come to pressure and avoid a burn notice. For some extra flavor, you can substitute Chicken Stock for the water.
- FAJITA SEASONINGS – Cumin, Chili Powder, Paprika, Salt and Pepper is what goes into our homemade Fajita Seasoning. If you need to cut some corners, you can always use store bought Fajita Seasoning.
- GREEN PEPPER – Sliced and deseeded. You can really use any color of Bell Pepper that you’d like.
- RED PEPPER – Sliced and deseeded.
- ONION – Chopped. We used a yellow onion because of it’s milder, sweeter flavor. But you can use red onion if you’d like.
- FLOUR TORTILLAS – Or substitute for corn tortillas. Or you omit them to make this a gluten-free meal. Or serve over a bed of rice.
Toppings For Instant Pot Fajitas
This recipe gives you the seasoned meat and veggies. But the real fun of making a Fajita is what you decide to put on top of it. Here are some ideas:
- Avocado slices
- Pico De Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Lime Juice
- Extra Hot Sauce for an extra kick!
What Kind Of Chicken Is Best To Make Fajitas In Instant Pot?
For this recipe, we used boneless skinless chicken breasts. We cooked them and then shredded them. Some people like their Fajita Chicken cut into strips. If you want to do this before cooking, go for it. Please not that you should probably take about 3-4 minutes off of the cooking time. This may actually be better so that the veggies won’t get quite as soft, if you like that as well.
Can you use frozen chicken? Yep! You sure can. That is one of the awesome things about using a pressure cooker. It cooks frozen meats really well! Just add about 5 minutes to the cooking time if you are doing this. Just be aware that cooking the bell peppers an extra 5 minutes is sure to make them a lot softer. You may want to cook them separate and add them later.
You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you’d like. Chicken thighs in an Instant Pot come out SOOOO tender!
Can You Make This In A Slow Cooker?
Yep! Just dump all your ingredients into a Crockpot. Cook on Low for about 4 hours or on high for about 7 hours!
Can You Freeze This Recipe?
You absolutely can freeze the Fajita Chicken after you have cooked it and once it’s cooled. It’s a great idea to divide it into single servings so you can just take it out as needed. I would NOT freeze the cooked vegetables. Have you ever tried to reheat a cooked Bell Pepper? Mush! But the meat itself can be a great started for a pasta dish, sandwich or salad. Or you can just saute some fresh peppers and onions while reheating the chicken!
Other Notes, Tips and Variations
- If you want to cut some corners or don’t have one of the seasonings, you can use store bought Fajita Seasoning.
- Yes, the Bell Peppers get a little soggy during the cooking process. If this really bothers you, you can wait to saute them in the Instant Pot after you cook the chicken. In this case, I’d keep some of the fajita seasoning to sprinkle on the veggies while doing this.
- We used water for this recipe, but you can use Chicken Broth for some added flavor if you’d like.
LOOKING FOR MORE TEX MEX INSTANT POT RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
Instant Pot Fajitas Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 green pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- flour tortillas
- sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro optional for serving
- Add chicken to instant pot. Pour in water. Add seasonings to a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle half of the seasoning onto the chicken. Add peppers and onions. Sprinkle remaining seasoning on top.
- Close instant pot and seal shut. Close the pressure release valve. Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 10 minutes. Quickly release pressure when cooking cycle is complete. Open the pot and carefully shred the chicken, you can also remove the chicken from the pot and shred it, with two knives.
- Serve chicken and vegetables on a flour tortilla toppings of choice.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.