This Instant Pot Fajitas Recipe makes the ultimate easy Tex Mex family meal! All made in one pot in your pressure cooker, it will be ready in just a couple minutes! Tender shredded chicken, fresh onions and bell peppers and our special homemade Fajita seasoning. What’s not to love!
It doesn’t need to be Taco Tuesday to enjoy some delicious Tex Mex flavor. I love making recipes for my family that has a little spice to them. Some of my favorites have been my Mexican Inspired Totchos and my Spicy Chicken and Avocado Mexican Pizza.
But, ever since I got my Instant Pot, I’ve discovered even more delicious recipes to share with my family. And they have never been easier! We love our Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta recipe and our Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are one of our most popular recipes! So, today, we thought we continued to spread to love from South of the border and share a recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas!
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Fajitas has always been one of my favorite recipes. I love getting them at a restaurant on that sizzling skillet! So hot and so fresh! And then I can make my own! Yum! Well, now you can recreate that experience at home with these Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas.
I love making this in my Instant Pot because it is so darned easy! Just dump all of the ingredient in, secure the lid and press a couple of buttons. And these Fajitas will come out perfectly cooked and ready to dress up with your favorite Mexican toppings.
It’s a great idea for Cinco De Mayo parties, a fun weeknight dinner or a make-ahead lunch to divy up for the office during the rest of the week. And, if you want to skip the tortillas, it is Gluten Free!
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Ingredients
So, what will you need for this recipe? It’s pretty easy, check out the ingredients below. You probably already have most of these in your kitchen!
- Chicken breasts
- Chili powder
- Green pepper, seeded and sliced
- Red pepper, seeded and sliced
- Onion, chopped
- Flour tortillas
- Sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro, optional for serving
Toppings For Instant Pot Fajitas
This recipe gives you the seasoned meat and veggies. But the real fun of making a Fajita is what you decide to put on top of it. Here are some ideas:
- Avocado slices
- Pico De Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Lime Juice
- Extra Hot Sauce for an extra kick!
What Kind Of Chicken Is Best To Make Fajitas In Instant Pot?
For this recipe, we used boneless skinless chicken breasts. We cooked them and then shredded them. Some people like their Fajita Chicken cut into strips. If you want to do this before cooking, go for it. Please not that you should probably take about 3-4 minutes off of the cooking time. This may actually be better so that the veggies won’t get quite as soft, if you like that as well.
Can you use frozen chicken? Yep! You sure can. That is one of the awesome things about using a pressure cooker. It cooks frozen meats really well! Just add about 5 minutes to the cooking time if you are doing this.
You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you’d like. Chicken thighs in an Instant Pot come out SOOOO tender!
Can You Freeze This Recipe?
You absolutely can freeze the Fajita Chicken after you have cooked it and once it’s cooled. It’s a great idea to divide it into single servings so you can just take it out as needed. I would NOT freeze the cooked vegetables. Have you ever tried to reheat a cooked Bell Pepper? Mush! But the meat itself can be a great started for a pasta dish, sandwich or salad. Or you can just saute some fresh peppers and onions while reheating the chicken!
Other Notes, Tips and Variations
- If you want to cut some corners or don’t have one of the seasonings, you can use store bought Fajita Seasoning.
- Yes, the Bell Peppers get a little soggy during the cooking process. If this really bothers you, you can wait to saute them in the Instant Pot after you cook the chicken. In this case, I’d keep some of the fajita seasoning to sprinkle on the veggies while doing this.
- We used water for this recipe, but you can use Chicken Broth for some added flavor if you’d like.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 green pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- flour tortillas
- sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro optional for serving
- Add chicken to instant pot. Pour in water. Add seasonings to a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle half of the seasoning onto the chicken. Add peppers and onions. Sprinkle remaining seasoning on top.
- Close instant pot and seal shut. Close the pressure release valve. Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 10 minutes. Quickly release pressure when cooking cycle is complete. Open the pot and carefully shred the chicken, you can also remove the chicken from the pot and shred it, with two knives.
- Serve chicken and vegetables on a flour tortilla toppings of choice.