This Instant Pot Tomato Soup is the ultimate easy Comfort Food recipe. This hearty soup to warm you up on even the coldest days in just minutes with your Pressure Cooker. Top with Basil, Croutons or any other yummy topping to make your own comfort food creation. And it is super easy to make this completely vegetarian and vegan too!
Instant Pot Soup Recipes
If you’ve been on A Mom’s Impression before, you’ve seen that I am no stranger to my Instant Pot. I use it to make so many things, from Hard Boiled Eggs to Lemon Cheesecake! But one of the best uses for your Pressure Cooker is to use it to make soups. We love a really hearty, comforting soup here in our family, especially during the winter months. So our Instant Pot certainly gets a workout. Some of my favorite soups that we have made have been our Instant Pot Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup and our Instant Pot Beef Stew. Check out my Instant Pot page on my site for a ton more!
Today, I thought I’d share a Pressure Cooker recipe for the King Of All Soups: Instant Pot Tomato Soup!
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
We made our version of Tomato Soup just a bit different than other versions. And this kind of happened by a happy mistake. Our immersion blender died, so we couldn’t use that after the soup was cooked like we normally would. The result was a chunky tomato soup that I actually ended up loving just as much as a creamier version. But, if you’d rather use an immersion blender simply carefully blend it after you add the butter and cream towards the end of this recipe.
This is such an awesome recipe because it is so easy to make and can serve so many purposes. After just 20 minutes in your Pressure Cooker, you will have a delicious soup that you can serve with a sandwich (grilled cheese anyone!?!?), salad or all on it’s own. It’s great to bring to work and reheats super easy.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- Freezer Friendly?- Yep! You can freeze this soup for later if needed. Just make sure to cool it completely before putting it in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Thaw it out overnight and reheat it over a low-medium heat on the stovetop.
- Toppings– Putting some yummy toppings on your Instant Pot Tomato Soup can really make it pop! We love fresh basil, some big and crunchy croutons, parmesan cheese or even crispy chickpeas.
- Be Careful Blending- Just be careful if you are using an immersion blender. The soup is HOT and we don’t want it spraying everywhere!
- Vegan and Vegetarian Friendly– You can sub 1/2 cup of Coconut Milk for the Half and Half. You can also use Vegetable Stock instead of Chicken Stock.
- Canned Tomatoes?- Yep! Don’t be afraid that we used canned tomatoes in this recipe. This mom will use a shortcut wherever she can find one, right? You can often find some really high quality canned tomatoes in your grocery store that can taste even better than underripe, watered down ones you may see in the produce section.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for our “Chunky” Instant Pot Tomato Soup. Please let me know how it works out for you in the comments section!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can 28 oz, crushed tomatoes
- 1 can 15 oz, diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup half and half
Add oil, onion and garlic to the instant pot and saute until onions are tender.
Add broth, tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well.
Place the lid on the instant pot and seal shut. Close the pressure release valve. Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 10 minutes. When cooking cycle is complete, naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
Carefully open the instant pot and stir in butter until melted. Add half and half and stir well. Serve immediately topped with cheese and fresh basil.