This Instant Pot yogurt recipe is made using the “cold-start” method. Please read about the type of milk you need to use in order to make this yogurt safely. Contains affiliate links.
LOOKING FOR MORE FAMILY FRIENDLY INSTANT POT RECIPES? CHECK OUT MY INSTANT POT MACARONI AND CHEESE, INSTANT POT CHEESEBURGER MACARONI OR MY 23 KID FRIENDLY INSTANT POT RECIPES!
There are so many reasons why I love my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. I have made many delicious recipes for my family using my Instant Pot. I love the ease of only having one pot to clean up, and how quickly I can get a meal on the table in a pinch. Instant Pot yogurt is another reason to love your pressure cooker. Making your own yogurt is not only delicious, it is a healthier way to enjoy it! You can control exactly what goes into your yogurt. This is one of the big reasons we also love making homemade Instant Pot applesauce!
How to Make Instant Pot Yogurt
Pressure Cooker Yogurt Recipe
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt (use a yogurt with active cultures)
- 8 cups ultra-pasteurized whole milk*
- Yogurt toppings of your choice – fruits, granola, honey, etc.
- Place ultra-pasteurized milk and yogurt into the Instant Pot and whisk well to mix the yogurt with the milk.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and close the pressure release valve. Press the yogurt function and change the time (if necessary) to 8 hours. The setting should also remain on normal. If you like your yogurt a little more tart you can have it incubate longer than 8 hours.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, let set for about 30 minutes before removing the lid and placing plastic wrap over the instant pot. Place the pot in the refrigerator overnight.
- Your yogurt may be like pancake batter, thin and runny. If this is the case, strain it using a large bowl, strainer, and coffee filters. You could also use a strainer or a nut milk bag.
- Place 2 coffee filters into the strainer, and place the strainer into a bowl. Pour yogurt into the coffee filter and place into the refrigerator. Strain in the refrigerator and check every 2 hours until you reach your desired consistency. Ultra-pasteurized milk can also give you the Greek yogurt consistency that many love.
- Carefully scrape yogurt from the filter and discard filter. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy your yogurt with fruit, granola or honey as desired.
*Please only use ultra-pasteurized milk (such as Fairlife) for this recipe. You can make Instant Pot yogurt with regular milk, however, you will need to use the “boil method” as regular milk needs to be
heated to 180 degrees before being made into yogurt to take care of any harmful bacteria.
Pin For Later