Jump into the pressure cooker craze with this Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli recipe. Beef, brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic mixed with fresh broccoli and cooked to perfection in your Instant Pot. Get a bowl full of rich, authentic flavors of this classic Asian Dish without worrying about takeout!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I know that I often get a SERIOUS craving for Chinese Food. When that happens, are options have usually been to ask my husband to hop in the car and go get some takeout. But that can be expensive and I’m never sure what sort of additives, preservatives and who-knows-what-else they put in their recipes.
But pressure cooking chinese food solves that problem! We’ve made several Instant Pot versions of Asian Cuisine, from Sesame Chicken and General Tso’s Chicken to Cashew Chicken and Sweet and Sour Chicken! With simple, wholesome and homemade ingredients you can make this delicious Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli in just a couple minutes! And, because I’m sure you already have a lot of these ingredients already in your kitchen, you’ll be gobbling this down for a fraction of the cost of ordering out! Perfect for busy a weeknight or just when you get that craving!
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
This recipe is SO easy. Basically, just steam your broccoli, saute your beef, cook all the ingredients and then combine them together. Of course, I’ve got step-by-step instructions in the recipe card below. But here are the ingredients you’ll need to get started.
- CUBED BEEF– We used stew meat. But the great thing about using a pressure cooker is that you don’t need an expensive cut of meat to get tender results. Beef chuck roast, flank steak, skirt steak or london broil are fine too! Some people like to cut them meat into small cubes or chunks. And some like to cut into thin strips.
- OIL – We put a little oil in the Instant Pot to Saute with. We used vegetable oil.
- ONION – Finely minced. We used yellow onion because of it’s milder flavor, but you can use red onion.
- GARLIC – Fresh garlic, minced to saute with the beef and onion. The smells will be amazing.
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
- BEEF BROTH – This will be the base of your sauce.
- SOY SAUCE – Any brand is fine. You can use low sodium soy sauce if you are trying to dial back the sodium.
- BROWN SUGAR – The combination of brown sugar and soy sauce is delicious and really brings out the classic Asian flavors of this dish.
- BROCCOLI – Cut into broccoli florets. You’ll need to cook this on it’s own in whatever method you’d like. Steam it, microwave it, cook it on a stovetop. Anything will work.
- SESAME SEEDS – Optional for a garnish.
- CORNSTARCH SLURRY: 2 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup water. This will thicken your sauce.
What To Serve With Beef and Broccoli
- WHITE RICE
- BROWN RICE
- CAULIFLOWER RICE
- FRIED RICE
- RICE NOODLES
- LO MEIN NOODLES
- RAMEN NOODLES (QUICK AND EASY!)
Leftovers and Freezing
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should be good for about 4 days. You can reheat in your microwave. Honestly, this dish will never quite be as good as it was when it was freshly made. They broccoli will probably get a bit mushy. But it will still be tasty!
I would not freeze this recipe.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
- ADD HEAT – Add some red pepper flakes to this recipe to give it a little bit of spice. I love that sweet and spicy flavor combination!
- ADD MORE VEGETABLES – There is plenty of room to add more ingredients. Some ideas would be diced bell peppers, shredded carrots, baby corn or water chestnuts. Just cook them along with your broccoli and add them all at the same time.
- GET THOSE BROWN BITS – After sauteing the meat, deglaze the bottom of the instant pot get those brown bits (actually called fond) up. That is all PURE FLAVOR and will help you avoid the burn notice.
- SUBSTITUTE MEAT – If you are not a fan of beef, you can substitute for chicken or pork. Do everything the same, just use chicken broth or vegetable broth instead.
- ADD GINGER – Some people like to add a little ginger to give this a little more zest.
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 lb cubed beef I actually used beef stew meat since that’s what i had in my freezer. You can use a chuck roast, too
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 head fresh broccoli cut into chunks
- sesame seeds (optional for serving
- cooked white rice for serving
- cornstarch slurry: 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- Cut broccoli into chunks and steam in microwave or stove top until tender. Set aside.
- Add beef, oil, onion and garlic in the pressure cooker. Saute until meat is brown on all sides and onion is translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth, soy sauce and brown sugar and mix well.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and seal shut. Close the pressure release valve. Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, quick pressure release the steam and open the pot.
- Stir in broccoli and saute. When mixture begins to bubble, add the cornstarch slurry to thicken.
- Serve over white rice and top with sesame seeds.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.