Why You’ll Love This Recipe
QUICK AND EASY – Making recipes in an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker is the ultimate “set it and forget it” way to cook! But it takes a fraction of the time that Slow Cookers take!
EASY CLEAN UP – You can saute your veggies and brown your ground beef right in the Instant Pot. So there aren’t a lot of dishes to clean up! It’s cooked right there in on pot!
FAMILY FRIENDLY – No spicy or strong flavors that may turn off the kiddos! So picky eaters are sure to love this one. And it’s hearty enough to make sure no one walks away hungry. You’ll probably even have leftovers for tomorrow. And, trust me, leftovers are even better!
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
What Ingredients Will You Need?
- GROUND BEEF – We used one pound of ground beef. If you really want to use stew meat, you’ll need about 1 1/2 pound of that. You can try substituting for ground chicken or ground turkey to lighten this up. But it will alter the end result. I have also heard of people using a combination of ground beef and ground sausage.
- OIL – We use this to brown the beef and saute the onions. You can spray the bottom of the Instant Pot with some cooking spray or use vegetable or olive oil if you’d like.
- ONION – Finely diced onion works the best in this recipe. We use white onions, which has a bolder flavor and stands up well to the other ingredients and pressure cooking. But you could substitute for milder red onions if you’d like.
- MUSHROOMS – We used sliced white button mushrooms. But you could use baby bella, cremini or any other mushroom you’d like. You can also use canned mushrooms, but if you do this, there is no need to saute them first. They would get too soft.
- BEEF BROTH – Any brand will work. You CAN substitute chicken broth but the end result won’t be quite as rich.
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE – Adds depth and richness to your sauce.
- GARLIC POWDER – Two teaspoons of garlic powder. Or, you could saute one clove of fresh garlic while browning the ground beef if you’d rather do that.
- SALT AND PEPPER – We use sea salt and fresh ground pepper. To taste.
- SOUR CREAM – Can you substitute Yogurt for Sour Cream in Beef Stroganoff? Yep, you can. But again, this will alter your end result. Using reduced fat yogurt, non-fat yogurt or greek yogurt would help lower some calories and lighten this dish up.
- EGG NOODLES – For sure, this dish tastes DELICIOUS with egg noodles. But if you don’t have those or can’t have those, you can substitute for another pasta noodle. Longer, flatter noodles are best. Or, you can skip the noodles and serve the stroganoff with a side of mashed potatoes.
- PARSLEY – Fresh Parsley optional as a garnish.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Instructions
3. Add the broth and stir.4. Place the cover on the pot and seal it closed. Close the pressure release valve. Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 5 minutes.
5. When cooking cycle is complete, quick release the pressure and open the lid.6. Carefully stir in sour cream and add salt and pepper to taste.7. Serve over a bed of egg noodles.
Storage, Freezing and Reheating Leftovers
You can store your leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should be good for up to 5 days. This dish reheats just fine in the microwave.
You can make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff a little ahead of time by using the “keep warm” function.
I would not freeze this recipe.
We hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe. We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section below!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb ground beef you could also substitute 1 1/2 pounds of stew meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 12 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 1 fresh clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package 12-16 oz, egg noodles, cooked and drained
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Add ground beef, oil and onion into the instant pot and use the sautee function to brown the beef. I always use an extra lean ground beef so I don't drain it. If you are not using extra lean beef, remove the beef from the pot, drain and return to the pot.
- Add mushrooms, broth, Worcestershire sauce and spices into the pot and mix well. Place the cover on the pot and seal it closed. Close the pressure release valve. Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking cycle is complete, quick release the pressure and open the lid. Carefully stir in sour cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over a bed of egg noodles.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.