When Ocean Spray contacted me asking if I would review a Craisins® Dried Cranberries recipe, I jumped at the chance. My daughter loves Craisins! I love that they are healthy and good for her to eat. Naturally fat-free, cholesterol-free and a good source of fiber, one serving of dried cranberries (¼ cup) meets 25 percent of your daily fruit requirements and delivers the same whole-body health benefits as an 8oz glass of cranberry juice cocktail.
The cranberry’s big, bold taste, vibrant color, and endless versatility make it the perfect addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner or anytime in between. I decided that I wanted to make something that would work for breakfast as well as a snack in my daughters lunch box. I found the recipe for Craisins Breakfast Bars, and adapted it just a little to make a delicious breakfast bar.
Craisins Breakfast Bars
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup round toasted oat cereal I used apple cinnamon flavored
- 2/3 cup Ocean Spray Craisins
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels I used dry roasted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon backing soda
- Preheat overn to 325 degrees. Line a 8-inch square baking pan with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together oil, orange juice, orange zest and egg in a small bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well. Pour in oil mixture and stir until all ingredients are moistened. Pour mixture evenly into a the prepared pan, pressing firmly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a deep golden brown. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, cut into bars. Serve warm or cool completely.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
Caroline absolutely loves them. For some reason she loves to clean when she is happy, so this picture is proof that she loves them!
My husband and I have been enjoying them as well. They remind me of a granola bar and I have been replacing my usual snack with them. Its wonderful knowing exactly what ingredients are in my food. I never imagined that making my own breakfast bars would be this easy! The cranberries are tasty and add just the right tartness that the bars need. This recipe is a home run and we will be making them often in our future.
From Sept. 27 through Nov. 11, visitors at the 18th annual Epcot® International Food & Wine Festival can experience the beauty of a cranberry harvest at Ocean Spray’s cranberry harvest exhibit and learn about this exceptional fruit. To celebrate the bog at the Epcot® International Food & Wine Festival, Ocean Spray is giving away a three-month supply of Craisins® to a lucky winner on Twitter tomorrow (10/25).
Join me at the #ilovecraisins Twitter Party!
#ThisisStyle TWITTER PARTY
DATE: October 25nd, 2013
TIME: 12:00 PM ET
PRIZE: A three-month supply of Craisins®
HOW TO ENTER: You can enter to win by following @OceanSprayInc and including the hashtag (#ilovecraisins) and @OceanSprayInc in your answer to the day’s question (announced tomorrow, 10/25, at 12pm EST).
I hope to see you there!