These Crack Potatoes recipe are an easy, cheesy comfort food recipe that you just can’t get enough of. It’s gonna be the next hit at your family’s dinner table. Hash browns, bacon, cheese, and ranch seasoning make this dish irresistible.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This potato casserole is a perfect side dish that is just LOADED with flavors. And it takes just a couple of minutes to throw together and bake in your oven.
We use shredded hash browns, but you could also use tater tots or even dice up some fresh potatoes and use those.
It’s a great recipe to make ahead of time, keep in your fridge overnight so it’s ready to pop in the oven for a quick prep meal! Or, you can even freeze it until you need it!
And we use the Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning shaker to make this even easier.
Why Do They Call Them Crack Potatoes?
Ok, time to discuss the elephant in the room: Full disclosure, I’m a little put off by the term “crack potatoes”. I did NOT come up with this term. Obviously, they are referring to the fact that these potatoes are so delicious that you won’t be able to resist eating them over and over. And, while I’m not a fan of the title, unfortunately a lot of people google search this term looking for this recipe. So I have to reference it so they can find it.
I’m more comfortable calling this dish “Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potatoes”. Or, some people also call these Funeral Potatoes, a recipe in which there seem to be a ton of versions.
Crack Potatoes Recipe
It’s so awesome that you really only need a couple of ingredients to prepare this delicious dish. For full step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- SOUR CREAM – We use 3 cups of sour cream. You can use light sour cream if you want to take some calories off. Or, even try substituting with greek yogurt. This will certainly lighten the dish. But may change resulting creaminess a bit.
- RANCH SEASONING MIX – As mentioned above, we use the Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Shaker. We always have Ranch Dip Mix on hand in the kitchen for lots of tasty recipes. Including those pretzels in the picture above. But you can use any brand.
- BACON – Bacon, cooked and crumbled. We use thick cut bacon and cook it to be really crispy. But you can use whatever bacon you like and cook it in whatever manner you prefer. Or, you can use Real Bacon Bits to make this recipe even quicker!
- SCALLIONS – Or green onion. We mix these into the ranch dressing mix and we also use it as a sprinkle them on top as a garnish.
- SHREDDED CHEESE – 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese works best in this recipe. But you can use whatever cheese (or combination of cheese) you’d like. Try some pepper jack for a little kick. Or monterey jack for a bit of a different presentation.
- HASH BROWNS – Shredded Hash Browns work best. But you can also use tater tots. No need to thaw them first. Or, you could dice up some potatoes (red potatoes or new potatoes would work great) and use those. If you do this, I’d cook and brown potatoes first before baking them in the casserole.
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER – To taste.
Storage and Freezing
This is one of those recipes where the leftovers seem to taste even better the next day! You can store your leftovers in an airtight container (or cover with plastic wrap) in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. This recipe reheats just fine in the microwave.
You can also freeze crack potatoes. Just let the casserole cool fully and wrap in aluminum foil or freezer wrap. I also like to use disposable foil pans for this as well. It will be good in your freezer for up to 4 months. Thaw out overnight in your refrigerator.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- MAKE IT A MAIN DISH – While this is an awesome side dish. You can also easily make it a main dish by adding some chicken to it. Cook chicken in your desired method and shred it up to put in the casserole. You can use a boneless skinless chicken breast. Or chicken thighs would be delicious too. For recipes like this, I also like to just grab a rotisserie chicken and use the meat off of that.
- SPICE IT UP! – Add sliced jalapenos into the casserole. Or some green chilis.
We hope you enjoy these Crack Potatoes. Please let us know how it turned out for you in the comment section!
LOOKING FOR ANOTHER POTATO DISH? CHECK OUT:
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
- 3 Cups Sour Cream
- 1 oz Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 6 Slices Thick Cut Bacon-Cook until crisp and then crumble
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Scallions
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 28 oz Hash Browns-Refrigerated or Frozen
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Mix the sour cream, Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix, crumbled bacon, scallions and cheese together in a large bowl until well combined. Add the shredded hash browns and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour into the baking dish, and cook, uncovered, for 40–45 minutes in a preheated oven, until crisp and golden.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.