Are you ready for a delicious and healthy air fryer fajita chicken recipe that your whole family will love? These easy step by step instructions makes this air fryer chicken breast recipe easier than ever. Cooking chicken in an Air Fryer makes it tender, succulent and moist It makes a great meal all on it’s own, but you can also easily slice it up, wrap it in a tortilla and serve it as traditional fajitas! Or put it on some lettuce for a healthy taco salad! Easy to make low carb, gluten-free, keto, paleo or whole30 compliant!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I love this air fryer fajita chicken recipe for many different reasons.
First, it is such a family friendly meal! Both adults and kids love fajita chicken. Making this Hasselback Style gives it a fun look that is appetizing for the kids. And it’s loaded with healthy, wholesome flavors and ingredients. Veggies, cheese and tender chicken! Yes, please!
Next, the air fryer makes recipes healthier than if you fried them the regular way, yet they don’t lose any flavor. Your body is going to thank you for the less fat and calories. And making chicken in an Air Fryer is SO easy! And cleanup is a cinch!
Also, there are so many things you can do with this recipe. You can do what we did and serve it Hasselback Style on rice. Or you could make it into a burrito bowl, slice it and putting it in taco shells, flour or corn tortillas to make it into a salad! You could even make a pretty killer sandwich with this recipe!
Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipes
We’ve made Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas. And, our other Comfort Food website, Bubbapie.com has a great recipe for a Fajita Chicken Casserole. But we thought it would be fun to try an Air Fryer version of Chicken Fajitas.
Do you love fried chicken but don’t want all the calories that come with it? Then you need to air fry your chicken! There are so many different ways you can make chicken in the air fryer. From spicy wings for the big game or chicken nuggets for your kids, the air fryer has your chicken dishes covered. Investing in an air fryer is a smart way to “skinny up” some of your favorite fried dishes.
FrenchMay Air Fryer – 3.7Qt, 1500W – Comes with Recipes & CookBook – Touch Screen Control – Dishwasher Safe – Auto Shut off & TimerSimple Chef Air Fryer – Air Fryer For Healthy Oil Free Cooking – 3.5 Liter Capacity w/ Dishwasher Safe PartsZENY Red Electric Air Fryer w/ Touch Screen Control 1500W 3.7QT, 7 Presets, w/ Recipes & CookBook (Red)GoWISE USA 3.7-Quart Air Fryer (Plum)Philips Airfryer, The Original Airfryer with Bonus 150+ Recipe Cookbook, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, Black HD9220/28
Air Fryer Fajita Chicken (Hasselback Style)
We love that this recipe is so straightforward with super easy ingredients. For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- CHICKEN BREASTS – 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Try to make sure they are all the same size so they will cook evenly.
- OLIVE OIL – You can substitute for any other oil as long as it has a pretty high smoke point. Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Soybean Oil and Peanut Oil could all work.
- FAJITA SEASONING – We just used store bought fajita seasoning. But you can certainly make your own homemade fajita seasoning mix if you’d like or if you have dietary considerations. Or, in a pinch, you can just use some taco seasoning if you have it laying around the house, this recipe will still taste delicious!
- BELL PEPPERS – We used yellow and orange bell peppers. But you can use green and/or red bell peppers if you’d like.
- ONION – One sliced red onion. You can substitute a yellow onion.
- CHEESE – Shredded cheese. We used a colby jack and cheddar mix. But you can use whatever you’d like. Try pepper jack to give it a little more of a kick.
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
How To Tell If Your Air Fryer Chicken Is Done?
It really is pretty hard to over cook chicken in an Air Fryer. But it is certainly possible. A lot of times, when cooking smaller pieces of chicken in an Air Fryer, I can just take on piece out and cut into it to see if it’s done. It would be a little harder to do that with with recipe. It’s good to have a good meat thermometer on hand. Simply stick it in and make sure the internal temperature reads above 165 degrees.
Toppings For Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
We topped ours with some fresh cilantro, but you can certainly upgrade your toppings if you’d like! Some ideas would be Pico de Gallo, Salsa, Guacamole, Sliced Avocados, Fresh Lime Wedges or Fresh Lime Juice, Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt.
How To Store Leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should be good for up to 4-5 days. This dish reheats just fine in the microwave.
I would not recommend freezing this recipe.
Notes and Tips
- DON’T OVERCROWD – Make sure there is room enough in your Air Fryer Basket for the air to move around. Otherwise the chicken just won’t cook right.
- USE A PARCHMENT PAPER – Some people like to use Air Fryer Parchment Paper on recipes like this. It’s not necessary (we didn’t) but it can make cleaning up a little easier.
- EVERY AIR FRYER IS DIFFERENT – The cooking time we suggest is good for OUR Air Fryer. There are so many models out there these days that it’s impossible to assume they will all cook the same. Keep an eye on you chicken and use your thermometer to see if it’s done.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas. Please let us know how it turns out in the comments section!
Air Fryer Fajita Chicken (Hasselback Style)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp FAJITA seasoning
- 1/2 each red yellow and orange pepper- sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese - Colby Jack and Cheddar mix
- Salsa and sour cream
- Preheat Air fryer if needed to the pre-set chicken option or 380 degrees.
- Make horizontal cuts across each chicken breast.
- Rub your chicken breasts with olive oil and fajita seasoning and then set to the side.
- Place slices of bell peppers and red onions inside each cut.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer vegetables side facing up.
- Cook chicken for 15 min.
- Remove from the air fryer and place on a parchment sheet covered baking pan.
- Top each piece of chicken with a handful of cheese.
- Set your oven to broil on high. Broil chicken until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve with some cilantro, salsa and sour cream.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
Pin for Later
Patricia R malloy says
So…the picture looks like 1 breast at a time. Is that the case? So you do this 4 times?
It depends on how big your air fryer is. Mine is pretty small so I had to to one at a time. If you have a trivet you could do one on top of each other.