Edible sugar cookie dough recipe is made without eggs or heat-treated flour for a fun and safe treat. Loaded with sprinkles this is a perfect dessert for any occasion!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Raw, edible cookie dough is all the rage right now, and why not? We all love to eat it before it becomes a cookie. The only problem is that raw dough usually has raw eggs, which is a no-no to consume. And, believe it or not, raw flour can contain bacteria that can make sick.
So, egg-free, raw-flour-free homemade edible cookie dough is the next best thing! We also make our edible sugar cookie dough without brown sugar for a nice consistency. It feels and tastes like actual sugar cookie dough. With no worries about salmonella or E. Coli. It is so easy to make it can be done in just minutes. It is one of my kid’s favorite recipes!
This makes the perfect treat for so many occasions. From a kid’s birthday party to baby showers. Or, it can be great for any holidays! Read below for some inspiration!
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe
Just a couple of ingredients that you probably already have around the house. For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- SUGAR – We use just plain white sugar. No brown sugar here as it can sometimes make the consistency of the dough a little grainy.
- BUTTER – Unsalted butter. We will be adding salt later. Make sure you let your butter sit out to get soften to room temperature. You can also brown your butter for a slightly nutty flavor.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – We always advise using a quality vanilla extract. Don’t get the cheap stuff!
- SALT – A dash of kosher salt balance well with the sweetness of this treat.
- FLOUR – Make sure you heat-treat your all purpose flour in the oven before combining.
- SPRINKLES – Or any other topping or decoration you want to use!
How To You Make Raw Flour Safe To Eat?
A lot of people may not know this, but raw flour can be just a dangerous to eat as raw eggs can. The good news is that it is super easy to make raw flour safe to eat! You just need to expose it to some heat to kill off any bacteria. The best way to do this is to spread out the flour on a baking sheet with some parchment paper or a silicone mat. Put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes and you are all set!
Just keep an eye on your flour, if you brown it or burn it, it won’t be good in this recipe.
What Happens If You Bake Edible Cookie Dough?
So, at the end of this recipe, you’ll have what looks like totally normal “cookie dough”. Can you change your mind and just bake raw cookie dough? Unfortunately, no. This recipe has no eggs or leavening agents (baking powder or baking soda) in it. So, they just wouldn’t turn out very tasty at all. Go ahead and get yourself some regular cookie dough if you are craving some fresh baked sugar cookies (we won’t blame you!).
Edible Cookie Dough Storage and Freezing
It’s best to store your cookie dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I would not store this at room temperature. It should be good in your fridge for up to a week.
You can freeze edible cookie dough. I’d spoon the mixture out into individual scoops, put it on a cookie sheet and then in the freezer. Once the cookie dough balls are frozen and hard, you can put them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
You can thaw them out in the fridge or some people like to eat them straight out of the freezer as a frozen treat!
Ideas For Decorating Your Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
As I mentioned above, there are tons of fun ways to dress up your sugar cookie dough! Here are some ideas!
- MINI PEANUT BUTTER CUPS
- CRUSHED OREOS
- GROUND CINNAMON (They taste just like Snickerdoodles!)
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS/MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS/WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- CRUSHED CANDY BARS (Snickers!)
- ANDES MINTS
- CARAMEL CHIPS
- ROCK SALT (Skip the added salt in the recipe and roll your dough in rock salt for a nice crunch, texture and sweet and salty combination!).
There are also so fun ideas to decorate your Edible Sugar Cookie Dough for different Holidays!
- ST. PATRICK’S DAY – Green Sprinkles and/or Andes Mints
- CHRISTMAS – Red and Green Sprinkles or Crushed Peppermints
- 4TH OF JULY – Red, white and blue sprinkles (as pictured).
And, for our final suggestion: This edible cookie dough recipe tastes best with a big glass of cold milk!
We hope you enjoy this easy recipe for Edible Sugar Cookie Dough. Let us know how it turns out in the comments section!
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 3/4 C flour
- 1 C Sprinkles
- Using a standing mixer or a hand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter until fluffy and combined in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the vanilla and salt and mix until combined and fluffy
- Beat in the flour, 1/4 C of the flour at a time just until all combined
- Mix in the Patriotic sprinkles using a rubber spatula
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop portions out or eat out of the bowl yourself!
- Make sure you have a big glass of milk!
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.