Are you looking for a nice side dish for Thanksgiving or any other dinner? Look no further. I love that this is elegant and also vegetarian perfect for those of us who have vegetarian guest coming over. It will fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied.
Pear and Walnut Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 1 cup spelt
- 3 cups water
- 3 acorn squash
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pears peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1/3 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ) Put spelt in large bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight. Drain and put into pan with 3 cups of water or vegetable broth. Bring to boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 40 minutes. Pour off any extra liquid.
- ) Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut acorn squash down the middle and remove seeds. Brush olive oil onto the acorn squash and sprinkle with salt. Bake, face down, for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- ) In a microwaveable safe bowl, combine the pears, sage, walnuts, spelt and ¼ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese. Microwave for 1 minute.
- ) Stuff mixture into the cooked acorn squash. Top with remaining ¼ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese. Place under broiler for 2 minutes.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
I hope you and your family enjoy a happy Thanksgiving!