My husband and I have recently been experimenting with some of our go-to dinners. Sometimes its fun to reinvent some classic dishes by adding a little twist to them. This is how the idea of totchos for dinner got started. When I was pregnant with Caroline, I craved baked potatoes, not just your ordinary baked potato but I wanted my dinners on top of a baked potato. I had macaroni and cheese, tacos, ham and cheese soup all on top of my baked potatoes. While those days of being pregnant are over, I still love to have my dinners served on top of baked potatoes.
My husband and I have been enjoying taco topped potatoes over the past couple of months. The other day I did my weekly grocery shopping at Kroger and found a great deal on Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican blend of cheese. I was inspired to create a Mexican dish for my family that was a little out of the ordinary. I was thinking about nachos, and then the idea of putting them over tater tots hit me, it would be like my baked potato phase only with tots. The idea of Totchos was born.
The star of this show is the off-the-block freshness of the Sargento® cheese. The main ingredient had to be fresh and Sargento® makes a big difference in my meals. Our version of Tatchos includes two different layers of cheese because we all know that good nachos need a lot of good cheese.
Mexican Inspired Totchos
- 1 large bag of frozen tater tots baked according to package directions
- Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican
- 1 can Black Beans drained
- Taco meat
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- sour cream optional
- Preheat oven and bake tater tots according to package directions.
- When tater tots are out of the oven, layer tots on an oven safe serving dish.
- Cover tots with a thick layer of Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican cheese and stick back into warm oven for a couple of minutes until melted.
- Layer on some taco meat over the tots.
- Layer on black beans.
- Add another layer of Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican cheese.
- Layer shredded lettuce.
- Top with tomatoes and sour cream if desired.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
The Totchos were a huge hit for dinner. I’m not sure if he was joking or not but my husband even told me it was the best dinner I had ever made. I promise you that if you give them a try they will instantly become a family favorite at your dinner table.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento®. The opinions and texts are all mine.