These adorable DIY printable unicorn cards are perfect for Mother’s Day or as birthday party invitations. The yarn hair gives it the extra special touch that makes getting this card so special no matter the occasion. Includes a free printable!
Unicorns are everywhere this year and it makes me super excited. I love the color and the unicorn is all about shimmer, shine, and colors! My daughter is approaching her sixth birthday and I was looking for some fun girl birthday party themes and came across the idea of making unicorn birthday card invitations. While I was making them I thought that they would also be perfect to make as Mother’s Day cards so this project turned into a fun project for both occasions using the same printable unicorn template.
You could honestly change the inside message to read anything you want. The unicorn template is perfect to use with just about any holiday or event. You could be making unicorn cards all year long!
Mother’s Day Unicorn Cards
- Printed template
- Gold, pink & green glitter cardstock
- Rainbow chunky yarn, White shimmer yarn
- Hold Punch
Lion Brand Yarn 861-100L Vanna’s Glamour Yarn, DiamondIuhan 250g Worsted Super Soft Smooth Natural Silk Wool Yarn Knitting Sweater Knitting Yarn (J)American Crafts 6 x 6Fiskars 1/4 Inch Hand Punch, Circle
1. Print the templates & cut them out.
2. Match the card-front with the card-back. Hole punch the circle guides at the top of the card-front. Make sure you are hole punching both the card-front and card-back at the same time.
3. Trace and cut the horn out of the gold glitter paper.
4. Trace and cut the unicorn snout out of green glitter paper. Hole punch the nostrils.
5. Trace and cut the outer ears out of pink glitter cardstock.
6. Trace and cut the inner ears from gold glitter cardstock.
7. Glue the gold inner ear pieces to the center of the pink outer ear pieces.
8. Glue the glitter snout onto the bottom of the front of the unicorn card.
9. Cut the chunky rainbow yard into six, 12-inch pieces. Cut the white yarn into six, 12” pieces. Measurements do not need to be exact.
10. Separate the pieces of yarn into 5 groups, which is one group for each hole punched. Three groups of 2 pieces of rainbow yarn and two groups of 3 pieces of white shimmer yarn.
11. Fold over each yarn group and feed the looped end into the card hole.
12. Put the yard ends into that loop. Pull to secure to the card. Repeat with remaining holes. Alternating colors yarns: Rainbow, white, rainbow, white, rainbow. Now your unicorn has a mane of hair!
13. Glue the horn and ears slightly below the yarn, covering it up the holes.
14. Move the yarn around the horn and ears to style. Use scissors to give your unicorn some bangs.
15. Sign your name on the inside & you’re ready to give to your magical Mother!
I hope you enjoy your unicorn cards!