Tips to Help Busy Parents Recharge During the Day
- Take a long, hot shower or bath. This tip is one of my favorites because it also accomplishes something that needs to be done. I am able to clear my brain of everything I need to do while I am in the shower. There is a moment of clarity. Bonus, the bathroom is the one place my kids will give me a little bit of peace in.
- Take 15 minutes for a book break. If I am by myself during the day with the kids I have all of us take some time to read. Just having 15 minutes reading something that isn’t work-related helps relax me. Bonus, the kids see me reading and are inspired to do it too! I’ve been doing this almost every day this summer and I am finding my kids reading more than they ever have before.
- Take advantage of friends and family when they ask to help. My neighbors and I will often “exchange kids” for play dates giving each of us an hour or so to get caught up in the day. I do use the time to clean, work uninterrupted, but also to sit down and relax with a beverage for a few minutes.
- Connect with friends. Play dates are nice for adults too. I love getting together with my girlfriends to catch up on life while our kids play in the next room. Having time to chat with my girlfriends is a quick way for me to feel refreshed and ready to tackle mommyhood. I also love just having time to chat with my non-local friends via messenger or a phone call.
- Sit down and enjoy a challenging game. My family is a family of gamers. While we love a good family game night, I also like to sit down and challenge myself with a strategy puzzle or game like Words with Friends 2.