My kids are so excited for the DVD release of Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie. We saw it in the theaters and my kids giggled the entire time. This film is clever with a lot of heart. Specifically, the film explores the great friendship between two friends and their connection through a love of writing and creativity. I knew after we saw it we would own the DVD, it is perfect for our weekly family movie night.
Movie Night Snacks
I love making movie night snacks when my family watches movies together. We love popcorn and sweets while we watch the latest film. I enjoy getting a little creative and will theme out snacks for the first viewing of a new DVD. I knew I had to go all out for the new Captain Underpants film. On our latest shopping trip to Walmart, we picked up some essentials to make delicious movie night snacks.
I love Pop Secret popcorn, you can’t beat the unbeatable taste with better ingredients and inventive flavors. Their great butter taste makes me come back for more every time. A movie night is not complete without popcorn. Pop Secret is also the main ingredient in my famous Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls!
We also love snacking on Lance crackers when we watch a movie. Lance has been making little sandwiches for over 100 years with two awesome crackers on the outside with incredible spreads between. Our favorite is the cheddar crackers with peanut butter! With real peanut butter or real cheese between crispy baked crackers, up to 5 grams of protein, and no high fructose corn syrup, Lance provides a variety of sandwich crackers that are a tasty and satisfying snack solution for your family’s busiest school days. My kids have loved me putting them in their lunch boxes over the past couple of weeks. They keep asking for more!
Now that we had our supplies I went to work making my delicious Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls. I wanted to make them fun for the new Captain Underpants movie, so I did an additional step and coated a few of them in peach chocolate to make Captain Underpants popcorn balls. It was trial and error but I managed to use a sharpie and clear treat bags to achieve his little face!
The kiddos loved the extra little step and enjoyed the chocolate coating on the popcorn balls. I thought the red ribbon looked a little like his cape. It was a fun little way to add something special to movie night.
Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls
- 1 bag Pop Secret popcorn (popped according to package directions)
- 10.5 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 bag orange candy melts (optional)
- 1/2 bag white candy melts (optional)
- Prepare a clean surface with a large layer of wax paper.
- Put the popcorn in a large mixing bowl.
- Add marshmallows, butter, and peanut butter to a large saucepan and bring to medium heat. Let everything melt together, stir occasionally.
- Once the marshmallow mixture is completely melted, pour it over the popcorn.
- Mix the popcorn to coat it with a wooden spoon.
- Grease your hands with non-stick cooking spray. Let popcorn mixture cool slightly and then form popcorn balls with your hands. Place balls on the wax paper and let cool completely.
- OPTIONAL In a microwave-safe bowl, pour both the orange and . Place into the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir, repeated process until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Dip candy sticks into the chocolate and place each one into a popcorn ball. Let the chocolate harden.
- OPTIONAL Dip each popcorn ball into the chocolate and spoon chocolate over the popcorn. Alternatively you can use a pastry brush to brush chocolate onto the ball for a light layer. Place on wax paper to harden.
- Let dry and attach ribbons to the sticks.
- OPTIONAL Trace Captain Underpants’ face onto a clear candy bag and tie around the ball.
The Captain Underpants DVD is will be available in Walmart stores 9/12! Be sure to reserve your copy now by pre-ordering today! While supplies last.