My husband and I LOVE chocolate chip cookies. He worked on his recipe for years, but I love to try new things. I saw a special on a cookie swap over the holidays that showcased Chocolate Chip and Bacon Cookies. I knew I had to try to recreate them myself.
I brought them to a family dinner and they were a huge hit. I think a few people were a little skeptical at first, but after they tried them they all agreed that this was a recipe to keep around.
- 10 ounces bacon
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 4 ounces peanut butter chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. use a silicon cooking sheet or spray cooking sheet with cooking spray.
- Bake the bacon in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes reserving the fat. Pour fat in a small bowl and chill in the fridge until set. Dice bacon into small pieces and reserve.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cayenne together in a medium bowl. Using a stand or handheld mixer, beat the butter, bacon fat, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs separately, making sure you beat well between them. Pour the flour mixture slowly into wet mixture. Stir to combine. Fold in bacon, chocolate chunks and peanut butter chips.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
- Bake until done 10 to 12 minutes.
I think these would be perfect to make for your sweetheart for Valentines day, or just for a treat for your family. My brother in law loves bacon so I will be sharing this recipe with my sister.
What do you think? Would you try a cookie with bacon in it?